Saturday, August 8, 2015

"Music Makes The People Come Together"

This time last Saturday I was headed downtown Toronto.

I LOVE TORONTO. It is so very alive. And tall. There is a rhythm to Toronto, a steady pulsing beat.

So, I was excited. We wandered around the beautiful Distillery District, a first for my friends and I, and got to experience a new and entirely charming and unique part of the city. After cocktails and dinner, I changed in a parking lot. What?!?! You know I'm a fitness superhero, right? No one saw a thing.

We headed to our main purpose of the day. An outdoor concert.

The last time I went to an outdoor concert there was lots of young people, smoking (legal and illegal substances), copious amounts of alcohol, and a shared interest. Music.

We got there and realized that the line to enter literally snaked around the block, around another block, and ended a half marathon away. Huh. When WE went to outdoor concerts, WE always wandered in fashionably late. Lineups? Pfft.

The crowd was 60% young and nubile,40%.....other. There was smoking (legal and otherwise), there was copious amounts of alcohol, and there was music.

Once we found our spot (close to the stage!!) and our alcohol (copious amounts!) there was very little time wasted in transitioning to our younger selves. (Editors Note: This is a health blog, Annie - be careful what you disclose!) There was NO smoking (legal or otherwise). Sigh. I wore mini jean shorts (band-aids, actually) and a tank top, with flip flops. And though the music may be different, nothing else really was.

It was as close to time travel as we will likely ever come.

Giggling, singing and dancing, the crowd around us was quickly enlivened by our enthusiasm, so we drew them in and made the circle bigger. People that would normally have nothing in common all of a sudden has so many things to chat animatedly about. Age gaps melted away.

By the time the first note was played, we were in the thick of the closest, and possibly biggest and rowdiest, group of concert revelers.

It was, in a word, AMAZING.

We came together to hear.

We stood together to see.

We will remember, collectively, how we felt.

Together, we lived the experience.

Music.

It is the heartbeat of our souls.

It is the common thread that ties every human experience together.

It binds forever and creates connections that are virtually impossible to make any other way.


I run because I can't imagine myself any other way. Music reminds me that that is just fine.

Find Your CORE.

No comments:

Post a Comment