Sunday, April 26, 2015

On the Road Again -10 days of 26.2

Call me crazy. I signed up for a marathon. This, specifically is what I have agreed, no PAID, to do:

mar·a·thon
ˈmerəˌTHän/
noun
- a long-distance running race, strictly one of 26 miles and 385 yards (42.195 km).
- a long-lasting or difficult task or operation of a specified kind

Okay. I've got this. I've had many Netflix watching marathons. No big deal.

But then I read on. Apparently in 490 B.C.E some Greek guy named Pheidippes heroically ran 26 miles and 385 yards. He ran from the Plains of Marathon to Athens to spread the news of an Allied Greek victory there over a Persian army. I'm guessing he wasn't wearing Nike sneaks and chafe free clothing (Hello leather thong sandals and toga!!) but that's my hypothesis, not actual fact.
Although this guy ^^^ clearly agrees.



Well. THANKS. A . LOT. Pheidippes. I'll be cursing your name on Sunday, May 3rd. If I can ever figure out how to pronounce it.

It was introduced as an athletic event in the 1896 revival of the Modern Olympic Games and now is a (possibly the most) popular race distance for runners from professional to beginners alike.

Let me be clear. As a fitness professional I know that 4+ hours of repetitive physical activity, now performed mostly on hard roads, is absolutely not a highly recommended way to get or remain fit.

It's hard on the body. It's hard on the mind. It's hard on life. Over the last 6 weeks I have increased my mileage from average 40-50km per week to between 70-80km per week.
I have:
- been out on a run that took 4.5hrs long because it was so hilly, I was poorly prepared fuel-wise, and my legs and body literally felt like I had immersed myself in boiling hot viscuous fluid that pulled me further and further in with every painful step forward.
- experienced chafing on my arms and collarbone, marking me with red blistery circles reminiscent of teenage make out sessions but more painful (physically anyway - emotionally scarred from feeling mortified as an adult looking back. But that's another blog)
- toes that feel like someone has taken a sledgehammer to repeatedly
- March sunburns
- eaten things that are gooey and disgusting and can't even pass as food so runners refer to them as "fuel"
- wanted to give up. A lot.
- been very, very, very, very, very, very tired. And sore. Hurty, owwy, stairs are to high to climb ever again sore.

BUT I've also:
- had a glorious 34K run that felt so strong I really think I could've have done it again
- ran the furthest I've ever run before - 3 times, each surpassing the last
- enjoyed the experience of running Around The Bay 30K race - one of the truly most wonderful days of my life
- found new parts of my community, seen spring emerging from the bleakness of winter, and marvelled at more wondrous things than I can remember and recount
- enjoyed a freedom in running I had lost in the darker months of winter
- shared giggles, jokes, sport beans, stories and so much more with the people I am blessed enough to share this experience with. There is nothing more personal than sharing the agonies and joys of the open road with people who understand

So I thought I would document this experience for posterity - and also for all of my wonderful clients and friends who shake their heads at me, look at me like I'm a little crazy, and then pat on the shoulder and whisper, "you can do this".

Over the next ten days I am going to document what the week up to, the marathon itself, and the aftermath looks like. In case, you know, anyone out there might want to do this themselves.
It's been a journey. And as with everything worth doing, it has had it's challenges. Which I will try to share in the blogs ahead this week.

Read on. And share with your friends. If you don't you know who I will be calling to accompany me on my next adventure!

Find Your CORE




No comments:

Post a Comment