Friday, May 29, 2015

"Mama, I love you"

This last week has been a pretty amazing one for my business.

Children have been here.

Daughters, specifically.

Over the last ten days many of my clients have had to bring their daughters to class or session. Often apologetically. Truly? I love it. Also, I have been hearing tales of exercises being shown at home and kids diving in to try out what Mommy is doing. Or doing it with her.

What better opportunity to share with your daughters the truth about being healthy??

Every child who watches or participates in a session of movement with their parent gets a lot of take away - even if they don't realize it.
-physical activity is normal. Workout time is adult "play" time.
-taking time out from a busy day to make movement a priority makes Mommy a better person. Happier, more confident,more energetic.
- that they are welcome to take part. Exercise isn't some dirty secret that we are ashamed to do. It's for everyone.
- it's fun
- Mommy/Daddy are strong and determined. They don't give up when things are difficult and painful. They don't stop when they are tired. They work hard for things that are important.
- that working out is for being skinny. It's for being healthy.

I heard a few comments this week that the kids are so much better at the movements than we are as adults. Yes. No brainer. Children are flexible and strong because they are encouraged to be active and move and explore. If your child can do more burpees than you, that's ok. Be proud of yourself, and them.

Remember that one day, when they need to make choices that will determine their health and wellness, sometimes life or death decisions, it's your example that they will remember. It's your bravery that will get them in the door of their local gym, or join a run club. It's your strength that will remind them to keep going when it feels to tough. And most importantly, it's your voice that will ring in their heads when they look in the mirror and don't like what they see.

I heard this in class this week:

"I have made the decision to not care about how much I weigh or how I look. I make these choices to better my health, be strong, and live well. If I lose weight because of it, then great. If I don't,well, I'm great just the way I am. Healthy."


Well. Isn't that what we all wish for our children?

Find your CORE

No comments:

Post a Comment