Sunday, July 19, 2015

"This Is My Heartbeat Song"

As a follow up to my blog about "fun runs" of a few days back, I want to take a minute (or longer - get tied on) to discuss team CORE and their varied experiences over the last two weeks, participating in Mudderella (an all women, 9K mud run) and the Warrior Dash (a 5K obstacle run).
We had, as they say, a blast. It was a load of fun. From the day before prep, to the social media chatter, the long car rides together, the pre race jitters, the post race high. We loved it all.

There are a lot of tales to tell, and I will leave all the various Warriors and Mudderellas to tell their own version of their days. But I have something to say to each one.

If you have ever read my blog, by now you know I love my CORE people for more than the income they provide me. I am inspired, no blown away, by them. They are simply amazing, brave, kind and wonderful human beings. I get to hear about their lives, and am invited into their journey to better health, an intimate and personal privilege to be sure.

As I suspected - they surpassed their expectations at these events. They challenged their limits and were not found wanting. They surprised themselves, but not me. They never surprise me...I see what they are capable of and believe in them when they can't believe in themselves. I love my job.

So, as briefly as I can - a word to each of our CORE family who participated.

Lisa/Jason/Char/Tasha: I didn't get to see your time on course. I cannot wait to hear every single detail. But I know the truth of the matter in the pictures I have seen - your shining eyes, and proud smiles. You are all amazing!!

Chantelle: you make everything more fun - and that is a gift to all around you. Keep your light hearted attitude and say what you think - we are listening. So are all the handsome medics.

Fawna: you told me the course kicked the crap out of you. I'm pretty sure I crossed the finish line with you. So who did all the kicking that day? Love your determination - and your refusal to let badass blisters bring you down.

Megan: Sorry that despite being old enough to be your mother, you could only keep up with me for one obstacle. Don't worry. I'll always slow down when you need someone to grab your hand and get you through. Great job you beautiful girl.

Jody: two weeks in a row and still dancing at the end of the Warrior Dash. Nothing keeps you down, physically or emotionally. Keep dancing, even with your broken bum.I'll rub it for you anytime.

Alex: I know what a challenge this was for you, in so many ways. I see you encourage others to step outside their box, and you don't allow your box to keep you in. Your belief in yourself despite the fears you face inspires me everyday. You are beautiful.

Jo: So much of this is your fault, I don't even know where to start! In the end, through it all, perhaps the bravest moment of the whole week was you planning next years adventure while being taken away on a stretcher in the back of a pick up truck. Never deterred from making shit happen.
Keep swimming - even though it is often upstream. It's people like you who get there.

Lee: you always seem to join us in these crazy adventures! Way to conquer so many things that on the way to the obstacle you firmly told me, "there is no way". Your quiet, steadfast determination was AMAZING as was the fact that you climbed BACK UP the bigass wall to help someone else over. Plus, you swear a lot, which is awesome.

Elizabeth: I never doubted for one second that you would fail to conquer every single obstacle, just as you always do, despite fear and difficulties. Lift up your chin and know that you are everything you need to be to tackle all life has in store. And you'll look damn good doing it.

Angie: Not surprising my British friend, that you made it through. Your ability to do everything and make it look effortless is beyond compare. But I know your truth lies in your ability to not only do things capably yourself, despite fears or challenges, but in affording others your quiet confidence and gentle encouragement. Lots of the team benefited from your kindness, as we do each and every week in class. You are a rock star. Errr, sorry.A country star!!

Jen: from being trapped in your bed to completing a Warrior Dash. All in five minute increments. All while looking stylish. All while helping, encouraging and affirming everyone. Even strangers. You are a lovely soul. Believe in you.

Matt, the wall guy at the Warrior Dash. Shout out to Matt for helping us through the most difficult of obstacles. YOu sure know your left and right.

In short, we kicked some serious butt. If you weren't part of this year's adventures don't worry - there will be more in the years to come. Jo will make sure of it!

Find Your CORE

No comments:

Post a Comment