Friday, April 11, 2014

"Are the Voices in your Head"

People have told me that they hear my voice in their head, encouraging them to work harder, eat better, move more, not to skip the workout, keep smiling, well, if you'v ebeen to any of my classes, you know. "Get comfortable with being uncomfortable"!

This makes me shudder and terrifies me on many levels. First - I've heard my voice on tape - egads! Like nails on a chalkboard. Second, and more terrifying, I immediately think you hear MY voice (like the one in MY head). Then I panic and wonder which one, before realizing what you mean.

Yes, I have a voice or two (or ten but whose counting anyway)in my head. I have logical, pragmatic, intelligent, positive, clear headed Annie. And then my alter ego: negative, passive aggressive, condescending, cruel and controlling. I also have others, but you have to marry me to meet those ones (ie/PMS Annie). Consider yourself spared, and consider Sean a saint!
Now I'm not schizophrenic, or bipolar. I'm a product of growing up believing certain things are true (I'm a failure/I'm unlikeable/I'm not good enough) and as an adult have learned that these things are not, logically, true.But emotionally, these things are harder to discount, especially after having believed them for 30years. Imagine finding out at 30 that the earth was not round, and had undisputable proof that this was a fact, after knowing that the earth was round for so long?
Exactly.
So, I have to battle back the things I once believed wholeheartedly. And replace them with hard, rational evidence. And remind myself of this. Often. This is how I battle back and stay positive, happy and live a normal life.

So in the end I'm so glad that my voice has become part of other peoples thought processes. Because sometimes when I teeter on the edge of make a bad decision or succumbing to a challenging day, and my positive voice isn't enough - I call upon my own army of peoples positive voices to fight the battle along side me.

I can only hope I have lent my voice to some positive life choices. And I encourage everyone to be a positive voice in their family and community. You never know when someone may be storing your words up for a battle later on.

Find Your CORE!

No comments:

Post a Comment