Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Hmmmm. What?? How are my 2011 goals going? Ummm....how do you like this weather we're having...

As a health professional, I should be eschewing the virtue of commitment and resilience - the ability to work towards and achieve that which is important to you. Employing willpower and using every tool in your arsenal to complete the task or goal you have set yourself. You can do anything!  Nothing can stop you!  Work hard, sweat harder, feel strong, live long, you know (and have probably heard) those or other familiar words of encouragement coming from my mouth at one time or another.  These words are true, and every time I ask you to surprise yourself, always remember that nothing you accomplish surprises me. I see what you put in, and what you get back, each and every time I stand in front of you. 
My goals?  Oh, well. Mmmmmmhhhhh........  fine!
Big fat zero accomplished of these goals. Have yet to have a massage. Family time? Well, it's there - but difficult to balance as I work mornings and nights, Sean in between.  Three cycling tours?? Haven't even gotten on my bike.  And the worst?? Still drinking Diet Coke as if it is the only thing that will sustain me. Yes, yes I am.
But - I have decided to do a duathlon this summer (and signed up - so there is no backing out), and will be doing my first 5km running race this Saturday to "test the waters". We have all got Friday off, and will be spending it how we all please - together.  I asked my daughter if she wanted to ride her bike while I went for a short run, she agreed.  That short run ended an hour later with her and I slapping high fives after having some of the best conversation we have ever shared. A warm, sweaty hug was shared and acknowledgement that this was a must-do again.  My son woke up at midnight the other night with sore legs, which turned into an hour long leg rub, cuddle and conversation on how we could accomplish world domination, one toot at a time.   We have decided to do the "Ride 4 the Rouge" as a family and enjoy a bike tour together for a great cause.  So the family time might not be entirely conventional, but we are outside, together  - laughing and smiling. Plus it makes our snuggly time all the much more enriching.  The little bums are so tired they actually stay still!
Someday my massage will come. Someday........
And Diet Coke - say it with me - "You can do anything!" "You are strong" "Nothing can stop you!"  Ah, thanks - I needed that!!  Back to the drawing board, but determined to kick the habit, one can at a time.

Happy Easter everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment