Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Year in Review

With the kids out of school, and few classes this week, I have been watching the "best of" "year in review" type programs that run aplenty at this time of year, concurrent with the "resolution" or "start your year right" and "no fail diet exercise plans" shows, but more on those later.
The review shows got me thinking. What would my timeline look like for 2011? Did I complete my goals for the year? Did I make a difference in the world? Am I happy with the year, and what can I do to make 2012 a happy, healthy year for myself, my family and all that I care about. So here goes (please read the following in a CNN Anchor type voice, with a running flow of pictures feature behind):
-CORE business picks up!
-CORE studio is finished - classes start
-in a fit of insanity, I start running again and enter a Sprint Duathlon for July 2012
-we go to the humane society to adopt a kitten, and come home with two adult cats, Imogen and Darwin
-ZUMBA for Gillie Beans - made video to raise funds and awareness of the Gillie Beans FUNd
-run 5K Run For The Diamond trail run in Uxbridge. David and Amy compete fantastically well in the 1K kids run. Sean freezes to the spot in the drizzling cold rain, with a pasted smile and hoarse cheer at the ready.
-stopped drinking Diet Soda.
-hosted Rainbow ZUMBA party, raising funds & awareness for the Gillie Beans FUNd.
-stopped drinking diet soda. Stopped... I know, but I miss it :(
-finished 8K run for Camp Oochigeas.
-took kids to Canada's Wonderland as a reward for great report cards - then proceeded to fail as a parent by putting David (then 7 yrs) on the Bat.
-finished our 1 year experiment July1st - no unnecessary purchases, any purchases must be home or locally made, or eco-friendly for one whole year.  Entire family gorges on McDonalds same evening.
-finished Sprint Duathlon at Ironman Peterborough - 7K run, 25K cycle.
-celebrated 10yr anniversary with a vow renewal ceremony and party with all the people we love!
-went to Cuba for 2nd honeymoon - ran on the beach barefoot - a lifelong dream!
-CanFit Pro conference - met Tanya Beardsley, my ZUMBA idol! and learned a TONNE about how to be  better educator
-Participated in 160K Ride 4 United Way with Sean.
-my Dad was found unconscious, remains in a vegetative state today.
-Holly the pitbull comes into our lives and stays with us for three months in the hopes of finding her a wonderful home.
-went to "Broadway Lights" Zumba party with some CORE girlies - saw Tamara and Amanda, CDN ZES in action - wicked~
-Lisa Tiessen gets her ZUMBA Instructor license (not me, but a highlight!)
-CORE classes are added and programs become registered!
-Sean and I attend "red and white" ZUMBA party - Sean goes viral in the "Booty Shaking Competition"
- new CORE website goes live!
- "Off The Red Carpet" ZumbAthon - almost 100 people participated to raise funds for the Gillie Beans FUNd - bring year total donations from the CORE family to just over $1000 dollars
-Westminster United Church Christmas Eve Play - led service, assistant directed and wrote, "What Child Is This" performed by the wonderful youth of the church
The things I'm most proud of?
My husband - who quietly runs the fort when I'm out working every night. He truly is a wonderful man, partner, father and is a great sport. For a guy who doesn't love excitement and change, he sure hangs on tight and enjoys the ride:) It was my utmost thrill this year to re-affirm my love for him in front of our children, family and friends who are family. Together we have raised two fantastic children, and I am proud that I am learning better (though not perfectly) to balance their needs and owning a young, small business.
I am proud of the human connections that I have made. Who knew that I would make real friends and meet such wonderful people, and recieve their love in my heart each day. It is these relationships that help me keep the rest of my jumbled life in some kind of order!
I am also proud that I actually kept most of my goals for 2011- soda is gone, family is balanced (ish), athletic events complete, just not too many massages (but I can work on that, gladly!).
So with that in mind - my goals laid out for 2012 (please note that all goals are subject to change, LOL!!)  **Please read the following with booming, epic, echoey James Earl Jones voice****
- to be more patient
- run the Toronto Waterfont 1/2 Marathon in October (Oh crap - that's 10 months away :O )
- get my youth group back in order and running strong
the Wedding of the year!

Tanya Beardsley!

CUBA chillaxin'


The CORE studio


The Ironman Duathlon






-to educate myself on how to manage and save money effectively (that's the big one) This is the year we change the money rut that so many young families fall into - and start to see a return for our hard work by planning and managing our finances properly. Kind of like a "bank account wellness program" or a "cash diet". Not gonna be rich, but organized would be fantastic!

In 2011, my family and I shared good health, relative economic safety and loads of happiness. We felt the love of our family and friends (both personal and CORE friends!). We laughed, we cried (well, everybody but me, that is). We loved, we hugged, we played and danced. And if nothing else happens in 2012 for us, then, well, that's good enough for me.

Happy New Year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment