Monday, August 1, 2011

Wingardium Leviosa!

Often when I run, a specific song, or line of poetry or sometimes even a specific phrase (usually involving a curse word) comes into my head and becomes the mantra of my run.  This off course occurs AFTER the opening thoughts of every run which go something like this: "OhcrapwhyamIdoingthistomyselfmylegstheyburnouchcrapsavemefrommyselfturnbacknowohhowIhaterunning".
Yes, I really am that dramatic.  I went for a run today and had a specific planned route of over 10K. Now let me explain - I have been planning on doing this run for a long time, but have had various things get in the way - some valid and others, I admit, have been excuses. It is a challenging route, riddled with steep inclines, but is mostly all in the country with lots of shade and beautiful scenery. I was hoping this would make the journey worthwhile.
Today for some strange reason, the words "Wingardium Leviosa" were playing in my head - a sure sign that I have either (a) completely lost it, or (b) have to see Harry Potter 7.2 right away. Either way, a Harry Potter levitation spell seemed like the least likely inspirational mantra ever.  When I reached the top of an incredibly leg burning hill, I looked to the right and saw what had to be the most incredibly idyllic view ever of my beautiful hometown of Brooklin. Wingardium Leviosa, indeed!  Who needs a wand to create magic like this? I can create my own form of (albeit painful and torturous) levitation!
As I was running along, I kept hitting roadblocks. My tummy was crampy, the sun was hot. One of the roads has a blockage which I had to stop and climb over. I decided to change my route and head straight home, again not finishing the route I have been striving to complete. Oh well, tomorrow is another day, I thought - I'll try again. But then another spell crossed my mind.
Expecto Patronum: described as an incarnation of the caster's innermost positive feelings, such as joy or hope, known as a Patronus. A Patronus is conjured as a protector, and is a weapon rather than a predator of souls.  Hmmm. A protector, made from my most positive feelings?  Heck yeah!  I cast my own Patronus charm (which for me I am positive would take the form of a horse) and chased those positive thoughts every step of the way, along the original route, and even was able to up the pace the last couple of kilometres.   When I was almost home there was no need for spells. I was levitating all on my own.  
So next time you face an obstacle too great, a class too tough, an unreachable goal, dig  deep and cast your own Patronus spell. Simply take all of that potential and positive energy you have inside you and send it out to help you conquer the world, one step at a time.
Now Muggles, RICTUSEMPRA!  You can't resist my tickling spell, can you! I hope each of your days is filled with magic and laughter this August.

No comments:

Post a Comment