Saturday, January 3, 2015

A Very Merry Un-Resolution To YOU!! (and you, and you...)

Full disclosure. I have never, ever,ever,ever,ever fulfilled a New Year's Resolution. I hold the resolutions themselves completely responsible for this because I am not a quitter. Clearly the failure to complete them had nothing to do with me. Or maybe. Ok fine. It was all me.
I made the obligatory resolutions. Why? Everyone was doing it, peer pressure at it's best. Besides, everything about me always needed to change. I never really measured up, so it was easy to find a million things to change about myself.
I feel the need to clarify here a little though. I am an excellent goal setter. And I always (I mean ALWAYS) reach and usually exceed even my ridiculously high expectations. But if you label it a New Year's resolution I suddenly am rendered useless and incapable.

Now that I am older and getting a little wiser, I realise that this is because I don't really need to change all that much. I am perfectly imperfect, and have so many flaws I'd have to start a new blog about them, but for the most part I am pretty ok. And no resolution to eat healthier, move more, apply more sunscreen, whatever, is going to change that, whether I reach the goal or not. All of the many little things I need to do to help myself to be all of the things I find most important (kind,loving, loyal, helpful, thoughtful) and want to accomplish (be a good Mum, wife and friend. Be a motivating force. Help others in my community)are ongoing efforts (sometimes battles) and the work on myself to make myself be the person I want to be is ongoing and constant. I work at my physical, mental and emotional health all the time, because these three components of my well being directly contribute to my ability to be the type of human being I aspire to be. Every day.

Life is an ongoing and constant state of employment. Invest in yourself every day so that you can invest in others.
I never kept a single New Year's Resolution because I never found one as important as worthwhile as that.

Without futher ado, here are my yearly UN-RESOLUTIONS. An unresolution is simply an acknowlegement of what you did well in 2014 and a vow to continue!

a)Run Forrest, Run! Over the last few years, I have turned my relationship with running from a brief fling, to a heated romance, a steamy honeymoon and now a comfortable, loving marriage. What was once a struggle is now a joy, and I can honestly say that apart from being with my family and friends, there is nowhere else I would rather be than the open road or trails.
b)Kindness & Gentleness: Learned this year to apply these traits to all areas of my life. Tried to stop living life on attack mode, and instead to nurture, apply patience, love and sometimes ice packs, to wounds that need to heal, those both literal and metaphorically.
c)Forgiveness: for others and myself. It's work, and it's working.
d) To avoid school trips like the plague. Luckily most are scheduled on my work days. Only got roped in to one last year - a personal record. Looking to continue that streak.
e)Friendships. I love having friends. And I have the BEST friends ever. So I will work on letting them all know that, as often as possible.
f) Wine. I started drinking the occasional glass of "occasion" wine (or maybe two glasses. I can't remember exactly)
It tastes good, and I plan on having more "occasions" to drink a glass!
g) Relaxing. I'm getting better at it (see the above statement about wine)and am hoping to do more.
That's the most important points I can think of, except I'll keep loving my husband, kids, family, friends, jobs, clients and random people I meet and to keep inspiring, energizing and motivating people to move!!

Find Your CORE!

No comments:

Post a Comment