Wednesday, October 23, 2013

"Let's Get Physical" Workout Wednesday

It's workout Wednesday! I'll be sharing my thoughts on different workouts, movements and exercises, and my favourite tips to maximize your exercise efforts. Today I am going to share a little bit about my fitness journey over the last 8 years. After 2 children, postpartum depression, a flatlined thyroid gland and a whole lot of extra cargo (mostly on my hind end, wish I could've kept a little of that!) As I had always been an active (though klutzy and useless at any team sports. Okay, any sports)person, and had always eaten fairly well and hadn't been overweight before the thyroid issues and the french fry binges that followed it, I knew once my thyroid issues got treated and levelled out that I would have some work ahead. Back to healthy, whole foods, watch portion sizes and get moving. I started with cycling, riding around my block on a second hand kijiji BMX, inspired as my children learned to ride theirs to dust off my cycling skills. From there I found a big hill and rode up it, then coasted down. Repeat. You get the picture. I rode the snot out of that BMX. Riding that bike gave me the confidence to try a spin class, and the rest, as they say, is history! Moral of the story - when starting (or restarting!) an exercise program, or riding your bike, or walking/running, start off in small, manageable bites and work your way up in time, intensity and difficulty. Work within yourself, build up confidence and strength. Give yourself every opportunity to succeed! My Favourite Tips for Getting Moving: a) Plan, Plan, Plan. Know when, where, and what you will be doing. If you have no idea where to start, consulting a personal trainer is a great resource to guide you. b) Respect Yourself. Honour your commitment - if you were meeting a friend, trainer or co-worker you would make sure to follow through on plans you make. Don't sell yourself short by copping out on your plan - make a date with yourself! c) Love Your Workout. Find out what you like. If you like it, you will stick to it - and the most effective exercises are the ones you actually do. d) Be Positive. Try not to allow negativity to seep into your plans. Anticipate the good feelings you will have after your workout - the increased energy, the strong body, better sleep, improved posture, lower blood pressure - well, you know there is SO many positives - and that they all outweigh the effort it takes to get these benefits!
"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going" unknown
EXERCISE OF THE WEEK - PLANK A great all over strengthener - focusing on CORE stability. Start by holding 20 seconds, and build up as you get stronger!

No comments:

Post a Comment